It’s the Middle of Summer…What is That Little Gas Flame Doing in My Fireplace?
The little flame you see in your gas fireplace after you have turned it off is called a pilot light. A Standing Pilot Light runs constantly, whether your fireplace is on or off.
“It’s the middle of summer, why do I feel heat from the front of my fireplace?” “Oh well…it’s only a little flame, it’s no biggy.”
Well that “no biggy” is costing you between $12 and $15 a month. Over the course of a year that’s up to $180, nearly two Benjamins!
Most of today’s gas direct vent fireplaces have an innovation called intermittent pilot ignition.
What that means is that you don’t have a pilot light burning in your fireplace year-round. When your fireplace is off, it’s all off. No gas is being consumed at all. Saving energy and saving you money. When you turn your fireplace on, a spark ignites a temporary pilot flame, which in turn lights up your fire. If you want to turn off your standing pilot light, learn more here about how to turn off the pilot light.
The intermittent pilot system, along with direct vent sealed combustion is one of the reasons that gas fireplaces are much more efficient now than they were only a few years ago.
So much so, that in some areas utility partners even offer rebates for replacing older fireplaces with newer more efficient ones; up to $250 in fact. That plus your savings over burning a pilot year around can add up to a $430 savings in the first year! If that isn’t enough incentive for you, some manufacturers offer instant online coupons as well. Typically around $100, but I’ve seen them as high as $500 depending on the time of year and brand of fireplace.
Check into how you can save money and conserve energy today by stopping by or calling one of our Washington or Oregon showrooms.
That little flame can be a big drain… on your pocket book!